Thursday, July 28, 2011

Bedtime, part 2

Oh, dear friends, unless you have seen a child through learning to go to sleep, you have no idea what amazement is mine.

This week, not only did Small Son go to bed at his usual bedtime for Grandma when she and Grandpa were babysitting Tuesday evening, but tonight, he went to bed and did not even ask to nurse. It was later than usual, as we were at the coffee shop helping out with getting ready for our opening day on Saturday. We did our bedtime routine, and after story, I sang him a song or two, tucked him in, then sang one more from the rocker as he snuggled in bed with his wolf and lamb and doll...

And that was it. I sat for a few minutes after the song, then tiptoed out. Dreamland.

Visions of being able to go out in the evening without worrying that he'll be up until I get home, even if it is 11 o'clock at night, are dancing in my head. Would he go to sleep for his other Mama, maybe? For a babysitter? Hmmmm...

I dont't think we are totally done with nursing. I think he may ask tomorrow or the next day, and if he does, I'll nurse him. My guess is that it will start to fade away, though. His circle of friends and family is widening, and he is ready to venture into bigger and bigger experiences of the world, but he still needs the small, warm circle of his family, and the smaller one of loving arms to hold him.

May he always know there is room in those arms for him.

No comments: