Friday, July 08, 2011

Challenges and Gifts

Apparently, posting daily, or even weekly, to various social media or to this page are tough, even when school is not in session. Seeing the gifts in each day requires that I meet the challenges from a place of openness and strength, not from a besieged hill, bristling with spears, nor as a suffering martyr. Ugh, as I write those, I feel them in me, those small, sad versions of myself. Poor little me! And now I'm laughing...

I was going to write about all the things that stand in the way of writing for me, the housework, the needy toddler, the rabbit-like thoughts that run around in my head, the stuff that seems so much more important, but really, who wants to read about that? Instead, you get the good stuff. Here it is:

* backyard raspberries, tiny and black, tart and sweet, fragrant as heaven.
* watching small son slide his chubby hand between the brambles to free the berries and crush them into his mouth, smearing clear magenta juice all over his face.
* wonderful Kelly at Specs who is a real Daymaker.
* tiny rabbit who has been living under our neighbor's hedge spent much of the evening eating fallen birdseed on our stoop, much to Small Son's delight (and ours!)
* big brown toad greeting me as I mowed the back yard last night, then hopping safely into the undergrowth.
* watching the progress at the coffee shop and seeing my partner's excitement and grace under pressure as opening day approaches.

And that's just yesterday!! What amazing joys are waiting for us today?

No comments: