Sunday, May 15, 2011

our new title



When I first started this blog, lo these many years ago, I titled it, "teaching on the edge of time," because Waldorf education is so very forward-thinking and future-oriented, despite carrying with it some vestiges of early-twentieth century educational practice. Later I shortened it to "on the edge of time," which reflected more the urgency and anxiety I was feeling about my parenting and teaching, whether it showed at the time or not.

Our new title, "the clear land," comes from my favorite read-aloud book, The Wind Boy by Ethel Cook Eliot. The Clear Land in this story is the one just above ours, the one where our nobler selves live and play amongst the Clear People, and where everything is a bit simpler, a bit finer, and a bit wilder than here in our land. There are things we humans can do that the Clear People cannot, because we have free will. There are things we can do in the Clear Land that we cannot do here on earth, because there, we live from our hearts.

I wish for all my students, my son, my family, my readers, and myself that we may find that clear land within us where we can climb the air, where we find our true selves, and where we can find one another in a deeper, truer way.
Welcome to the clear land.

No comments: