Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Our most recent class play was a great success. We triumphed over illness, scheduling, and children being on vacation. Giants were created out of paper bags, dowels, and bits of cloth.

Now we're learning about the animal world and about our own humanity. I've taught one block on this topic before, where we studied the octopus, mouse, horse, and hippo. This time, we're working with the lion, eagle, and bull, and then extrapolating to the ungulates, carnivores (comparing felines and canines), and birds. We'll be studying adaptation and habitat, and each child will write a 7 paragraph report on an animal of her choice.

and now, for sleep.

2 comments:

Monica said...

1) Do you only teach girls, or are you working toward balance and re-orientation of thinking when you use the pronoun her to refer to your students?
2) Reminds me of the vowel parade my youngest child recently participated in at school. Each child had an animal costume made of a paper bag, etc.
3) Do you do Heart of the Beast's May Day? (Gaints made of paper bags, etc. reminds me of it just now.) I love that. I took the day off work for it this year.

sara said...

that's my attempt to be more inclusive i pronoun usage. I have both boys and girls in my class.

heart of the beast is awesome. I haven't done work with them.