Monday, September 03, 2007

the last night of summer

I took the dog for a walk earlier. It was hot today. We only stayed a few hours at the fair; it was hot and bright and full of people. We ate slushies and roasted corn and foot-long corn dogs, and butterflies landed on us at the butterfly house.

As Amos and I made our way around the circle, I called out a hello to a neighbor and her daughter sitting on their stoop. The mother was painting her child's toenails, a first-day-of-school pedicure. They were giggling and loving one another. We saw a young gray squirrel bounding across the street with a walnut clamped firmly in his teeth. The squirrels know the heat won't last.

My lunch is packed. I have picked out my clothes for tomorrow. I have read and re-read my story for morning lesson. Now all there is to do is wait, and sleep, and go to school.

No comments: